The purpose of this guide is to show how step by step install Kali Linux on VirtualBox. Kali Linux is very useful tool 😉
Open VirtaulBox and create the virtual machine by clicking on:
CTRL + N. When new window appears choose:
- name for your virtual machine
- type and version on an operating system: Linux, Debian(32 bit)/ Debian(64 bit)
Set memory at least 512MB. I set more than 700MB but after first run always change to a higher number. It always depends on how memory you have on a host machine.
Create a virtual disk now and then click on:
On this window, you can select a few options, but I recommend to choose VMDK. Other options:
- VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image) – virtual disk image file in VirtaulBox systems
- VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) – virtual hard disk drive, VHDs are implemented as files that reside on the native host file system, used by Microsoft
- HDD (Parallels Hard Disk) – format used by commercial software “Parallels Workstation” Company “Parallels, Inc.”.
- QED (QEMU enhanced disk) – format-specific virtual machine (KVM) based on the Linux kernel
- QCOW (QEMU Copy-On-Write) – format used to obtain virtual storage space. This mechanism allows for a significant reduction in disk space requirements in a situation where the same image of the hard disk is used by many virtual machines and helps to increase productivity, as it reads from the disk is stored in the cache located in the RAM and the memory serves request readings from other virtual machines.
Dynamically allocated. This option allows changing memory according to the requirements.
Processors option select:
Enable PAE/NX. Reserving for 32-bit memory larger than 4 GB require the use of Enable PAE/NX.
After starting virtual machine select locations of ISO file with Kali Linux.
Install option and press ENTER key.
In this step you can choose:
This is optional. You can skip this option.
Set up password.
Guided – use entire disk.
Confirm the disk partition.
Select partition schema. Choose first option.
Yes option to write changes to disk.
System installation starts. In the middle of the process, two windows will appear. First with network mirror and second with installing the GRUB boot loader installation on a hard drive.
After reboot enter username as: ‘root’ and password configured previously.
If you have some problems with installation, please leave comment below.